Re: Breakthrough

Subject: Re: Breakthrough
From: Jim Naylor <jnaylor@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 08:30:19

Gramin <Gramin@aol.com> Writes :

>Flying up peacefully upcountry with a smile (beaming up ?(:-)) , and tuned to
>a silent FIR VHF channel, our reverie was abruptly disturbed by a 90 db burst
>of  dance band music, followed by a stream of French !
>This was around 400nm north of the Channel. Ok this is about the skip distance
>for MF, but amazingly it was still there when the Narco com. and ICOM22 VOR
>were switched off !.   Disappeared only when the intercom was muted.  Have to
>look at that shielding again, but where's the rectification in it to
>demodulate.  Perhaps it has overload protection diodes ?  Anyone else had this
>with a Flitecom 2 place unit ?

I have had a similar situation on several occasion when flying on the North
Wales / English boarder. It sounds like a Welsh speaking station comes over
the radio, I have also traced it to the intercom, but in two different
aircraft with different intercoms, one of them is a certified aeroplane
with 'professionally' installed and approved equipment.

Jim