Breakthrough

Subject: Breakthrough
From: Gramin <Gramin@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 05:15:07
Flying up peacefully upcountry with a smile (beaming up ?(:-)) , and tuned to
a silent FIR VHF channel, our reverie was abruptly disturbed by a 90 db burst
of  dance band music, followed by a stream of French !
This was around 400nm north of the Channel. Ok this is about the skip distance
for MF, but amazingly it was still there when the Narco com. and ICOM22 VOR
were switched off !.   Disappeared only when the intercom was muted.  Have to
look at that shielding again, but where's the rectification in it to
demodulate.  Perhaps it has overload protection diodes ?  Anyone else had this
with a Flitecom 2 place unit ?

I have to report that a light aircraft disappeared without trace in the area
while we were flying.  It later turned out that he had filed a flight plan
with a different callsign from the aircraft he was flying !

Heard over the RT (in English)

ATC - (to pilot meandering aimlessly around after landing )
"Alpha Bravo are you fully familiar ?"

Alpha Bravo : "Mebbe, but I'll need some instructions first !"

Graham C.  G-EMIN