Heavy Tailplane

Subject: Heavy Tailplane
From: Brian Rauchfuss - PCD <brauchfu@pcocd2.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:18:39

I just got finished covering the 2nd skin of my left tailplane.  I then
got out the bathroom scale to measure it.  12 lbs!  Looking through
some previous messages on the list, I discover that at least one person
has a completed tailplane at 9 lb plus 1 lb for the trim tab.  That means
that I am 20% too heavy!!

I thought that I was doing a good job of getting excess epoxy out, but I
am doing my work at about 70 to 75 degrees F, which might be a little
cold.  Someone suggested using a hairdryer to warm the epoxy in front of
the sqeegee.  Is this a good idea?

Obviously the bathroom scale is not that accurate, but I measured it twice,
once as me + tailplane and also as tailplane alone.  The measurement came
out exactly the same.

Any suggestions?

Brian