Re: Heavy Tailplane

Subject: Re: Heavy Tailplane
From: Brian Rauchfuss - PCD <brauchfu@pcocd2.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 08:32:50
> Brian, I wouldn't worry to much about the weight done on a bathroom scale.
> My tailplanes also weighed 12 lbs. on it. On my paint scale they weighed
> 9.25 lbs. each. I have tried the hairdryer idea, and can say it works
> great! My thanks to the gent who posted it.

My log book clearly shows the tailplane at 12 lb on monday, but I weighed
them again last night, and now they come out at 9lb.  I can only assume
that it was operator error... or the universe is playing tricks on me.

While I have everyone's attention, I would like to ask about cutting off the
trim tabs.  The cut on the bottom needs to be at a sharp angle, but I have
not had much luck with keeping the knife along a straight line while at an
angle.  It tends to drift underneath the straight edge I am using.  My plan
is to cut a piece of foam as a knife guide, and run the knife/foam combination
along a straight edge weighed down to keep it from moving.  Does anyone have
a simpler plan?

Thanks!

Brian