Re: Electric Flaps

Subject: Re: Electric Flaps
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 14:34:20
 Provided the flaps were not raised past the
> half way mark on the ground I would have thought it would work OK.
>
> We are experimenting with such a system.

Ted,

If you can get the flaps up to 18 degrees without latching and go ahead with
the electrical system please could I strongly suggest you use electrical
interlocks to prevent inadvertent retraction beyond 18 degrees and also
implement a cyclical deployment system.

The system would require two double pole switches in the cockpit - up/down
and interlock override.

The basic procedure might be....

Rig on ground with full flap.
Trigger switch to raise flap to takeoff (18 degrees). Microswitch on
outrigger stops motor before reaching latch release point.
After takeoff..
Actuating the up switch and the override switch raises the flap.

Flap lowering should always drive the flap down to 27 degrees so that if you
want to go to 18 degrees from flaps up then you have to cycle through full
flap.

That's it - just some thoughts on making sure you don't accidentally raise
the flaps on the ground.

Tony
Tony Krzyzewski    tonyk@kaon.co.nz
Managing Director  Ph 64 9 520 4631