Electric Flaps

Subject: Electric Flaps
From: Edward Gladstone <TedGladstone@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 19:12:51
>Atkinson <paulliz@cix.co.uk> writes
>I think that someone has converted a monowheel to electric
>flaps but cant remember who. Whether there was much to be
>
>and Ken Whiteley writes:-
>
>Terry Greaves of Burton Constable is doing this. But remember that you
>have to provide a means of retracting the outriggers or leave them fixed
>as Terry Greaves is doing.

Why can't the electrically operated flaps also operate the outriggers?
The outriggers latch down when the flaps almost reach full down and don't
unlatch until the flaps are almost half way up.    Full flaps would be used
for landing and  less than full for take-off (the existing fixed 27deg.
system is a compromise --- apparently 18deg. is best for take-off and not
more than 30deg for landing).   Provided the flaps were not raised past the
half way mark on the ground I would have thought it would work OK.

We are experimenting with such a system.

Ted