exhaust pipe burned through

Subject: exhaust pipe burned through
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 18:57:21
>>I recently discovered that two front exhaust pipes (front and rear on
left
side) have burned through in their bent radius at the engine side.
I have now 70 hours on the engine and I suppose that it burned through
since the last 10 to 20 hours<<

The  earlier ones were all stainless. We (GK Whip) have 130 hours, fully
wrapped and no burn through. Our pipes are 100
per cent stainless.
I understand the reason for reverting to mild steel downpipes was the risk
of fatigue cracking, which did happen on a couple of occasions. We decide
to support the weight of the silencer with a couple of brackets welded on
halfway along it 's length clipped to the engine mount. So far so good, no
problems.
Europa did issue an AD warning against wrapping the first 4 inches of
downpipe. Maybe too late, Klaus.

>>In addition, I can not separate the front  tubes from the main silencer
box
because they seem to have melted together; neither heating nor brute force
did help so far to get the tubes out.<<

I suggest you carefully cut the front tubes off, Order new front tubes in
stainless and stick with your old silencer. Maybe also suggest to  Europa
that they do the same.
Graham