Re: The Fuse Sucks!!!

Subject: Re: The Fuse Sucks!!!
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 08:10:01
Gidday,
Recent certification flying of the Europa in Australia requiring carbon
monoxide testing, led to unusual findings. The aircraft in question was
fitted with modified NACA similar vents just forward of the pilots outboard
knee, and passengers. In the rear cabin bulkhead were 2x3" diameter fixed
vents. These vents proved inefficient without the addition of  a small
trailing edge scoop taped externally to funnel air into the vent. No doubt
the location is not suitable for this type of vent, being in a low pressure
area When the aircraft launched for the CO2 testing the levels were only
acceptable with the NACA vents OPEN!
When they were closed the CO2 levels went "way above the required level".
Why is the obvious question? If the CO2 is entering through the NACAs it
will only come in when they are open. The exhaust pipe fitted is a standard
Europa supplied version, which it has been noted does not appear to be the
one fitted to EURO, or another Co. a/c. in recent newsletter photos. It
appears that the airflow around the mainwheel is such that the cabin will
suck exhaust fumes through the actuating lever, even though the lever was
shrouded with the "hairy nylon" sealing "stuff". This is because of the
existence of the "non-standard/approved?" rear cabin vents, or I am
presupposing that this is the case. In the message below a query was made as
to how much the rear fuselage breathes. I am a long way from this stage,
however it appears that it breathes "just fine". In fact it probably
"sucks"! The builder in question was reticent to seal the rear vents at my
suggestion on the day of testing because the CAA loaned CO2 tester had a
barometric funtion and a storage function, and he didn't want to compromise
his last run which gave marginally acceptable results.
It turns out a few days later after I wrote the above text, that the rear
vents were definitely the problem. By reaching over and covering the vents
the CO2 levels dropped to perfectly acceptable levels.
Does anyone have a venting system in place that works effectively?, or is it
a necessity to using the currently located NACA/or similar, to open  your
rear vents. This of course would require the installation of closeable vents.
Any Tips??
Regards
Tony Renshaw
Builder No.236