Re: Engine Installation - FIRE HAZARD !

Subject: Re: Engine Installation - FIRE HAZARD !
From: RonSwinden@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 14:42:51
In a message dated 05/08/97  10:05:34, you write:

<< I understand that you can extinguish a cigarette by stubbing it out in
 a pool of gasoline..............................

         Anyone tried it lately  ??

                 Martin >>
Not quite lately Martin but a friend of mine did try it in an MT garage in
Catterick in 1946  the pool in question was a big open container with some
parts of a brake servo system being cleaned in about 2 gallons of 72 octane
fuel. The resulting conflagration was something quite spectacular.  The guy
holding the can. with great care placed  it on the concrete floor where it
produced a lovely 20 ft column of flame.  We thought this was good fun but
the poor erb who had started the expeiment suddenly thought of all the spuds
he would have to peel to expiate the crime  so showing much more bravery than
common sense he dashed forward and quick as a flash, but not quite quick
enough he turned the can upside down.  He vacated the 20ft circle of burning
fuel with flaming boots and no eyebrows and we tested all manner of
extinguishers. No one was really hurt and we got the fire out without
enlisting the fire truck so all in all it was  a jolly interesting day but
please do not try to stub out your fag in the Avgas ( or anything like it)
 please. Ron S  No 33