hollow glass spheres as fillers.

Subject: hollow glass spheres as fillers.
From: m9687114@qub.ac.uk
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 14:16:25
27 Palestine Street,
Belfast,
Co. Antrim,
Northern Ireland,
BT7 1QJ.

5 - 08 - 1997.

Dear Sir / Ms.,

First I would like to introduce myself. I am a Polymer Engineering
student at the Queens University of  Belfast and hope that you may be of
assistance to me with some information I am trying to gather.

Each year every student undertakes a major project which accounts for a
large amount of marks and determines the type of degree awarded. I have
selected a project entitled Effects of Incorporating Glass/Ceramic
Spherical Particles Into Rotationally Moulded Parts. The glass particle
are in a spherical form and is mixed with Polyethylene.The glass spheres
are used in fillers soetimes. This is my reason for contacting your
firm.

I have carried out some research in the library on this topic but have
had little success. I have some information on other composite materials
and use of composites with aircrafts etc. but have had little success
with glass spheres glass reinforcements in rotationally moulded parts.
As I dont have much experience in this area and little industrial
experience, I was hoping your company may be able to help me with some
information and your experience.

 If your company have had some experience with hollow or solid glass
spheres I would be very grateful if you could help me by passing on
information about its effects on the polymer, advantages,
disadvantages, etc.. I am very interested in finding how the glass
content influences the mechanical properties such as stiffness, density,
toughness, tensile strength and shrinkage. The information does not have
to be specific to rotationally moulded parts, as I know glass spheres
are used more frequently with injection moulded parts and sometimes as a
filler.

Any information you may have would be of great assistance to me, or any
company you could put me in touch with who have experience in this area
would be a great help. I would be able to return any information you
lend me if necessary and would be very grateful for your help.

Thank you for your time and help. I hope I was not too much of an
inconvenience and I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,
Michael Murphy.
email m9687114@qub.ac.uk