Re: Flyng- Spar pin insertion force

Subject: Re: Flyng- Spar pin insertion force
From: Peter Davis <peterdavis@lineone.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 21:12:41

Graham,

IMHO the cups are there only to assist rigging and are not supposed to give
any structural support. I always thought that it was the spar pins that
were supposed to transfer the 'load' to the fuselage, or the other way
round, depending on whether you are on the ground or upside.

If this is the case, then the wings will always need 'jiggling about' as I
don't think that the weight of the wings should be taken on the lift pins
alone either, although once the wings are slotted into the lift pins, then
a quick-let-go-and-spar-pin-insertion is OK -  and necessary for rigging.

This being the case, I think it is luck whether the spar pins go in easily
or not. For what it is worth, mine require quite a bit of jiggling about,
although as yet, I have not tried it without someone at the wing tips to
give assistance.

Having said that, this does not answer your original query about 'flying
Europas' as mine is still firmly on the ground.

Regards,

Peter Davis (C152) (peripatetic 'Net user - trying out all the access
providers)