Re: Mandatory Mod. 40

Subject: Re: Mandatory Mod. 40
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 18:37:13
>> the ground  temperature was 9 celcius - do not assume icing only occurs in
winter!!! In
these conditions it is almost mandatory to cycle the carb heat every 15
minutes to clear the throttle.<<

There is a school of thought that suggests the only time you need cold air is
full throttle at take off. Most other times the heat gives better  vapourisation
of the fuel and more even mixture distribution between cylinders. The EGT's
reveal very odd distribution at times with our 912. Haven't you got EGT gauges?
You should have IMHO.
I wouldn't be dogmatic about this, some ancient air cooled engines are quite
capable of detonating in oversquare conditions. You need to understand your
engine and installation thoroughly. I'm still on a learning curve with the Rotax
(and the Lycoming)

Graham