Re: Mandatory Mod. 40

Subject: Re: Mandatory Mod. 40
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 12:00:57

> Europa haven't fitted carb heat, so I doubt that it will be included in the
mod.
> They have been looking for carb icing for a year and ain't found it .
There's
> always a yet (8-<)     Not too difficult to include, especially if you
> anticipated it when you built your throttle box.

Carb heat is mandatory for Experimental class aircraft in NZ (and Australia I
believe). We brought you the requirement for fuel drains, now we bring you
carb heat boxes!! :-)

If you want to experience carb icing you should come and fly down here for a
while. Only the weekend before last we had such a bad icing day that my local
flying school stopped low hour student solo flying. Due to the high humidity,
small different between ambient temp and dew point, and low air temps at the
present time carb icing is a constant threat. Incidentally, the ground
temperature was 9 celcius - do not assume icing only occurs in winter!!! In
these conditions it is almost mandatory to cycle the carb heat every 15
minutes to clear the throttle.

Woe betide the pilot who forgets to put carb heat on while descending or on
finals - trying to open an iced up throttle butterfly valve on finals could
be an interesting experience.
Tony Krzyzewski    tonyk@kaon.co.nz
Managing Director  Ph 64 9 358 9124
Kaon Technologies  Fx 64 9 358 9127