Re: Mod 37??

Subject: Re: Mod 37??
From: Europa <europaav@ns1.avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 09:12:24
>...........I have the same setup you do with the red block, although I
haven't assembled
>it yet. I looked at Elsa carefully during Sun 'n Fun and noted that the 1/4"
>ply is inserted below the red block, covering the bottom reaction plate. I
>asked Bob Berube about it and he said it sets the amount the LG protrudes
>when on the ground,...........

It is correct that the plywood block affects the protrusion of the LG when
on the ground.

However there is another reason - if you look at the linkage of the LG you
will find that the overcentre distance varies as the the rubber block is
compressed - the more compression the more overcentre.  This is important
because with the distance between the top and bottom reaction plates set at
5 1/4" and the LG fully extended the overcentre distance is at a minimum,
and must not be allowed to be any less (otherwise there may not be a
positive overcentre in which case the LG would retract prematurely).
Similarly at the other end of the compression stroke, where the maximum
deflection is set by the stiffness of the rubber, the overcentre is at a
maximum and must not be allowed to be any more to avoid overstressing the
undercarriage mounting frame.  If the plywood block were not there, the
bottom reaction plate would be 1/4" higher when fully compressed and this
could overstress the undercarriage mounting frame.

Regards

Roger

                  Address for Europa Aviation technical back-up is
enquiries@europa-aviation.co.uk