Flying question:

Subject: Flying question:
From: Alan Stewart <alans@kbss.bt.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 09:21:49

One or two things I've been wondering. Has anyone done the experiment ?

Before I go playing about with my Warp Drive 3 blade ground adjustable. (Rotax

912) which is currently a fairly accurate 17 degrees.

1/ How many extra knots does an extra half degree produce, OR how much are
engine revs reduced for a given cruise speed ??

2/ How much is initial climb degraded by each half degree increase in pitch
at AUW, hot and wet ?

It would be good to have a numerical or percentage approximation for someone
elses aircraft which I could use to decide if it's worth trying.

I believe TAS is about 1 1/2% faster for every thousand feet climb, but in a
normally aspirated engine like the Rotax, power declines too.

In a nutshell ?

3/ Do you achieve better economy at 6000 ft (per ground mile) than at 1000 ft,
for a given TAS, or is it poorer or much the same ?

Sorry, I know it's probably obvious, but it has puzzled me for some time ?

Any takers ?

alan