Re: Mod 37??

Subject: Re: Mod 37??
From: JohnJMoran@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 12:26:16
Hi Martin,

I have the same setup you do with the red block, although I haven't assembled
it yet. I looked at Elsa carefully during Sun 'n Fun and noted that the 1/4"
ply is inserted below the red block, covering the bottom reaction plate. I
asked Bob Berube about it and he said it sets the amount the LG protrudes
when on the ground, i.e. the complete tire should be visible with not more
than 1" between the top of the tire and the unloaded fuselage (Ref newsletter
14, pg 8). The black block is thicker and/or stiffer so the ply isn't needed
with it. Bob indicated that the damper mod improves landing characteristics
considerably.

Now I need a 1 3/8" hole saw. At least I get to use it on the plywood too so
it gets used 4 times instead of just twice.

One of the more interesting asides is that a U.S. mop handle is apparently
the same size as a U.K. mop handle. I fully expected to have to sand a 1"
dowel down but a chunk of an old handle fit fine.

Regards,
     John Moran   A044