Re: Capacitance fuel guages

Subject: Re: Capacitance fuel guages
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 08:56:52

/ I am convinced I should fit a capacitance fuel guage to my Europa which is
about
to have the /
/  lid put on.

I agree with your thinking.

/ The  Avelec unit seems O.k. but is very expensive and has a separate power
unit
i.e. three / /
/ components. I know the P.F.A. has approved the installation of this unit,
which
includes /  /
/ stengthening the cut-out in the cockpit module. I have details of the
SkySports
unit from the
/ U.S.A which seem to have a lot going for it - lower cost and all the
electronics
are in the /
/ head.

Every capacitance unit needs power so having a seperate unit is not really an
issue.

The Avalec unit is microprocessor calibrated against the Europa's tank shape so
you don't need
to make any bends in the probe. A straight probe would require some interesting
calibration of
the gauge!

In NZ I don't have to worry about the PFA so I am putting in an Avalec unit and
moving my sight
gauge into the baggage area where its sole purpose is to act as a pre flight
fuel
check. It is
interesting to note that the Voyager uses a similar technique with the visible
gauges built into
recesses at the wing root.

Tony

Tony Krzyzewski    tonyk@kaon.co.nz