Re: re-introduction & weight question

Subject: Re: re-introduction & weight question
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 18:59:48
>> I have become a little paranoid about weight build up; Dave # 340<<

Quite right too. Stay that way. Burt Rutan described the best check I know.

6 plies of BID, laid up on a waxed (and buffed off) flat surface.
Squeegee out as much resin as poss without allowing air to creep in. If too much
pressure is used air can be sucked in as the fibres relax.
Allow to cure, cut to an accurate 10" X 16" rectangle and weigh. 297 gms is a
bit light and might have air voids. 310 gms is perfect. 340 gms is too heavy. If
your aircraft was built to this ratio of resin to glass it would be around 40
lbs overweight. ( 18 Kgs if you must )

You will find if you flox two wooden splines to the long edges of your 10 X 16
piece and stick a sheet of production paper to the other side you have a sanding
tool with just the right flexibility for achieving a perfect profile on your
flying surfaces at the filling stage. IMHO a waste of time trying to do it with
a rigid tool.

Graham