Re: Transponder Aerials

Subject: Re: Transponder Aerials
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <72770.552@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 20:33:11

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From:   Rolph Muller
RE:     Transponder Aerials

>>I bought one at great expense from Aircraft Spruce - designed for
>>fibreglass aircraft. It looks like a short piece of plastic with a BNC
>>connector in the middle. It is mounted at the back of the cockpit
>>bulkhead and mounted with cable ties until I can get it's operation
>>checked - which will be some while now because I have to find someone
>>who will do some TIG welding for me apparently.

Rolph,

What's the "welding" about? Surely nothing to do with your transponder
antenna installation.  The antenna you describe sounds like the small
"shark-fin" shaped antenna which is electrically and operationally
interchangeable with the 2.6" tall mono-pole antenna. Either antenna
should be mounted either (1) on a the largest possible metalic area
on the underside of a metal airplane or (2) mounted in the center
of a 5.2" diameter disk of aluminum, brass or copper for composite
aircraft and glassed into the belly structure of the fuselage.

    Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection
                   ////