Energy / Landing Gear Frame

Subject: Energy / Landing Gear Frame
From: Bearder/Barraclough <106313.2726@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 13:46:37
about the latest landing gear frame problem, I too am extremly concerned we
are beefing up the frame and transfering the potential problem to the
fuselage stucture.
As it is at the moment, if the frame does collapse, it can be replaced.

Europa have flown YURO, ELSA and others, as have other builders from all
kinds of surfaces without any problems as far as we are told and I suspect
the problem is not with the aircraft but with those flying them. When the
gear has collapsed, that particular landing MAY not have been heavy but
what about the ones that have gone before. I think some soul searching from
those builders who are now flying may be in order and hopefully the
factory, with HONEST inputs from those who have experienced problems,  will
then be in a position to decide on what Mod if any really is required. The
landing gear frame will be easier to change than the whole tunnel
structure!!

I have not flown my Europa yet so cannot judge from experience, but the
tests on the gear frame that have been carried out before this problem
seems adequate to me. If your landings are exceeding the limits of these
previous tests, thus bending/breaking the gear frame, I would consider them
as CRASHES not landings! This must be a pilot problem NOT an aircraft
problem. Judgeing rate of descent at touch down is a PILOT skill.

IF this TIG welding Mod is required, which in my case will have to be done
in situ, can the inspectors out there tell me if this has to carried out by
a licensed aircraft welder?

David Barraclough
Builder 13, G-BVLH