Re: Energy / Landing Gear Frame

Subject: Re: Energy / Landing Gear Frame
From: Europa Aviation Ltd <enquiries@europaaviation.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 08:31:30
>about the latest landing gear frame problem, I too am extremly concerned we
>are beefing up the frame and transfering the potential problem to the
>fuselage stucture.
>As it is at the moment, if the frame does collapse, it can be replaced.
>
>Europa have flown YURO, ELSA and others, as have other builders from all
>kinds of surfaces without any problems as far as we are told and I suspect
>the problem is not with the aircraft but with those flying them. When the
>gear has collapsed, that particular landing MAY not have been heavy but
>what about the ones that have gone before. I think some soul searching from
>those builders who are now flying may be in order and hopefully the
>factory, with HONEST inputs from those who have experienced problems,  will
>then be in a position to decide on what Mod if any really is required. The
>landing gear frame will be easier to change than the whole tunnel
>structure!!
>
>I have not flown my Europa yet so cannot judge from experience, but the
>tests on the gear frame that have been carried out before this problem
>seems adequate to me. If your landings are exceeding the limits of these
>previous tests, thus bending/breaking the gear frame, I would consider them
>as CRASHES not landings! This must be a pilot problem NOT an aircraft
>problem. Judgeing rate of descent at touch down is a PILOT skill.
>
>IF this TIG welding Mod is required, which in my case will have to be done
>in situ, can the inspectors out there tell me if this has to carried out by
>a licensed aircraft welder?
>
>David Barraclough
>Builder 13, G-BVLH

It is not required that a CAA licensed welder carry out the welding to your
landing gear frame.  Use a welder with TIG experience, and who is approved
by an engineering company with ISO 5750 or 9000 or the Gas Board.  In other
words don't just use someone who just knows how to use a TIG welding unit.
Once you know the credentials of your chosen welder, contact the PFA if you
are still in doubt.

Regards

Andy