Approved Mods

Subject: Approved Mods
From: RonSwinden@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 14:41:48
A week or so back Tony asked if a  "list of approved mods existed"  other
than the factory mods. Pete D refered him  to the PFA chief engineer. At this
point I joined  in to ask that people stand by so that we  ( The Europa club)
could  try and negotiate a mode of operating that would achieve what Tony was
looking for without imposing an impossible work load on the PFA.  I sent
copies of the Email correspondence to Francis  D  and  asked him for his
help.  Rowland Carson  Membership sec and David Watts editor   also
volunteered their  help.  At the end of last week Francis wrote me and I also
spoke with him after I had seen his letter.
In essence Francis is, as ever prepared to help all he can but  as his letter
makes clear there are at least and I quote " a couple of problems to be
overcome:

1   Many mods are not drawn up to a standard where they could be used by
other builders to replicate the modification.  For example, if I have
examined a  modification in situ we need less of a detailed drawing than if
we are working just on the basis of photographs and drawings.   Many of the
drawings we receive are not fit to be given out to other builders due to the
risk of misinterpretation.
end of quote.
2.   Some builders object to "their" modifications being passed on to other
builders because of their concern about liability for any accidents which
might subsequently occur due to "their" modification.

I propose to send the club a list stating the modification title and a brief
description, plus the aeroplane registration and the name and address of the
builder, but only if they are a club member.   This will allow members of the
club to contact each other to discuss modifications and the originator of the
mod. can then  pass on details if he so wishes."
end of qote.

Builders will of couse still have to keep the PFA informed  of any mods but
if they can refer to the fact that they have used a previously approved mod
it should save time for all concerned.

The latest Europa flyer has just flown the coop but David will put the first
mod list in the next Europa Flyer so if there are any builders who are not
yet  Europa club members and would like to join please contact Rowland Carson
on rowil@gn.apc.org   and we will shorly be able to accept subscriptions on
credit cards and I know that will particularly help the o/seas guys  See you
at Chavenage or Shoreham or where ever till them stay healthy and keep
building and flying Ron S No 33.