Electronic Scale Accuracy Procedure

Subject: Electronic Scale Accuracy Procedure
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 21:35:51
John Moran A044,

Thanks for your reply about electronic scales. I have calibrated my scales
which are accurate to 1 gram using weights provided by my local
pharmacist/chemist. These weights he uses for his brews, and they are
approved i.e. accurate.  I was able to crosscheck the assumption that the
changeover in numerical presentation would be at the 1/2 gram increment of
the previous gram. My scales seem to have an accurate sensing device and are
downgraded from their more accurate "Bigger Brother" in the range, by simply
providing a less accurate presentation, not accurate to .1 gram. I then
crosschecked the approximation of what a drip of hardener weighs using water
as a similar specific gravity substitute. I appreciate hardener has a higher
surface tension so you probably get a larger drop. I used an eye dropper
with the rubber teat on the end, and its 17 drops to the gram in my case. I
thick that once my scales indicate the gram below what I want, the rest of
the addition will be a drip at a time until the scale indicates the desired
amount, which will be .1/2 gram less than desired, so another 7 drips will
approximate the exact amount. Whilst we probably understand this process, I
worry about my assistant making up a batch so my mixing sheet incorporates a
verbal crosscheck procedure so I can validate the accuracy without
physically having to do it myself.
If this system proves too cumbersome I was wondering if I could ask whether
you could send me a set of the scales you use, after receiving my money for
it and postage. I should wait and see if my system actually works first, but
I'm just sounding out my options. Could you send me your e-mail address.
Thanks again for your advice.

Regards
Tony Renshaw
The Aussie Connection