Push rod containment bulkhead upper brackets

Subject: Push rod containment bulkhead upper brackets
From: Peter Davis <101621.3070@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 17:49:37
This is the tip of the century as far as I am aware, although I have a feeling
that one of the many Grahams somewhere will tell me that it's been done before!

This was given to me by my inspector, Peter Abbey, who spends his time repairing
bent sailplains, so I can't take any credit for it other than for passing it on
to all and sundry.

This is the way to avoid getting stuck in the fuselage when fixing the top of
the push rod containment bulkhead (prcb) and upper pitch stop bracket to the
fuselage.

Firstly, whilst the two fuselage halves are serarate, make a splash moulding of
the inside of the upper fuselage in the area where the prcb will connect. Two
layers of bid will do. Before removing the splash moulding drill a couple of
holes through it and the fuselage and insert two small screws to enable accurate
future location.

Temporarily attach top of fuselage to bottom in final position and lightly bond
splash moulding onto the top of the prcb with either a hot glue gun or a few
small dabs of 5 min. epoxy through the previously formed access/inspection hole
near the tailplane. I found that it was difficult to get an accurate fixing with
the glue gun due to it's size and ended up with 5 min.

Remove screws and remove top fuselage section, leaving splash moulding attached
to top of prcb. You can now form the removable glassfibre brackets at the top of
the prcb at your leasure and in comfort, either the right side up, upside down,
inside out, or however takes your fancy, not forgetting the cling film or
whatever releasing method you choose. Nice, eh! Drill 2No. bolt holes per
bracket as per manual for possible future removal of prcb.

Also take this opportunity to fix the upper pitch stop in position. Easily done
with full access to ensure full 4 degrees up (or down depending on which way you
are measuring)

Cut through temporary hot glue or  5 min. fixing to release bracket from prcb.

When you come to fit the fuselage finally, scuff sand the bracket (after
trimming it to size as you will have made it oversize to ensure that the prcb
connects in the right area!) and the relevant area of the fuselage top and bond
together with redux at the same time as bonding the top & bottom fuselage halves
together.

You will now have a removable prcb as suggested in the manual without having to
loose weight to get through the D hole.

If Europa inc. is listening in, maybe they could fax Europa Ltd. about this as
feel it could be a useful amendment to the manual, although Andy told me that he
often listens in to the forum.

Regards to all,

Peter.