Re: antennas

Subject: Re: antennas
From: Richard Meredith-Hardy <rmh@flymicro.winuk.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 09:30:29

>Has anyone any thoughts on the fitment on antennae. I believe most are opting
>for the factory reccommended comms fit, but what about navs, xponders and
>GPS. Have priced most of the commercially available aerials but they are
>horrendously expensive, also most tend to be for metal aircraft.
>The most awkward one appears to be the VOR as this is usually fairly large
>and needs to be mounted horizontally. Does anyone have a design for a folded
>dipole suitable for VOR use (also possibly glideslope) . Im not a radio
>boffin so answers in plain English please. Also do the aerials interfere with
>eachother and therefore require spacing out along the fuselage.

We have fitted a VOR antenna under the skin in a wing.  We made it
ourselves (from some thin copper strip left over from the church
roof repairs!)   Don't ask me how it was tuned properly, that was
done by my partner in crime Dave Simpson who knows about these
things, but it was pretty simple.  Cabling is taken down a bit of
plastic conduit which runs thru. the cores.  This conduit is
arranged so we could also fit nav. lights in the tips if we wanted.

We intend to fit a semi-floating BNC connector arrangement in the
wing root which connects automatically when the wing is fitted.

Regards
Richard Meredith-Hardy         TEL + 44 (0)1462 834776
rmh@flymicro.win-uk.net        FAX + 44 (0)1462 732668
CIS: 100071,2422

Check out the British Microlight Aircraft Association at
http://www.avnet.co.uk/bmaa/bmaa.htm