Fuel flow meters

Subject: Fuel flow meters
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 19:21:32
>>I understand that the area of the small hole is less than the combined area of
the main jets in the carbs.<<

The Floscan sensor has a shaped orifice .093" dia (bigger area than the main
jets) which speeds up the flow to spin a small turbine whose rpm is then sensed
optically and processed to give a digital readout. It is capable of passing
enough fuel for a Lycoming IO-360 with a relatively small pressure drop, even if
the turbine stops spinning. It's approved for use in aircraft .
There are other flow sensors which work in a similar way but may have smaller
orifices. Both Radiospares and Farnells offer units, but not of the same robust
construction as the Floscan.

Obviously careful consideration is indeed required when planning the fuel
system, especially if you intend to fit a bleed back to the tank. Note that
Rotax now recommend a .35 mm bleed orifice, not the 1.5mm one they originally
recommended.

As soon as I get the oportunity I intend to have a good look round the engine of
the Katana. I suspect we might benefit a lot from their experience.

Graham