Re: Fuel return

Subject: Re: Fuel return
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 19:21:36
Reply to Peter Stuy,

Thanks for your input Peter, I was interested to hear that you do get carb
icing.
The important difference with the Europa installation is that the radiators are
at the front and all cooling/engine intake air passes through the rads first and
is consequently quite warm at the best of times. After long taxying it gets
distinctly hot. There have been incidents of vapourisation I believe which have
so far not been much of a problem. As you might expect there has never been any
carb icing.

Our Europa, G-KWIP has the rads mounted at the back of the cowling to get cooler
air to the carbs etc. Even so we are seeing carb inlet temps about 16 deg C
above ambient. There's still alot of heat in there! We plan eventually to duct
cold air via a carb heat system direct to the carbs, but not yet. We want to get
some flying in this year.

We have a Floscan  flow sensor read by a Grand Rapids engine info sytem. The
Floscan was expensive, it's STC'd and is the same unit used on small Lycomings
etc. The Grand Rapids unit is very good value, however and very user friendly.
After sales help from the company is also excellent.

Graham