Topics, files and drawings

Subject: Topics, files and drawings
From: Graham Clarke <gemin@cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 21:15:31
With new builders appearing all the time we are entering a phase where we
"old timers" are seeing again requests and discussions on topics which
have appeared before. Peter Thomas's initiative in posting the database
ALLMSGS.zip is thus to be applauded. Dare I suggest that it should be
mandatory that all new builders download this as a priority ahead of
their "introductions" which IMHO have a small impact in proportion to the
space occupied.  One after all often sees comments that people have
unsubscribed from services just because they are deluged with too much
information. This problem is not confined to the internet; it happened
with NOTAMS a long time ago. We may be reaching the state where only
headings should arrive automatically, and the contents themselves should
be posted in individual topic directories for downloading by users as
required.

On the subject of "is the factory listening in", I recently casually
mentioned this forum during a discussion with one of the major contacts
at the factory, who in effect said "tell me more" and "we must join".
This was not the top man though, who I understand  believes the burden of
reading them is too great to become involved.  Their stores activity is
certainly computerised since we were asked not long ago to resubmit data
that they had managed to lose without backup. Probably accounts too, now
they have a new man i/c.

I can hardly believe that the drawing office does not use CAD and I
intend to harry them until some decent true-to-scale drawings are made
available to us by file.

The Manual must surely be on a word processor so why can't we have a disc
copy or at least an index ! Perhaps they could be persuaded to post to
the FTP for downloading.

gemin