Oil Tank and cowling.

Subject: Oil Tank and cowling.
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 17:08:59
Reply to Alan Hall

You are right about the oil tamk, it is a bit close.  I would be inclined to
lift it a bit and cany it slightly. Lag the exhaust pipe, which is a good thing
to do anyway. Keeps the engine cooler and retains exhaust gas energy which helps
it out of the system. Finally if necessary put a bulge in the cowling.

Speaking of the cowling if "that was where I wanted to go" I wouldn't have
started from here.(G) When I compare the outlet area with the exhaust in place
it looks ridiculous. There is nowhere near enough outlet area. That means the
inlet will be stalled which will stall the prop. I will ask Europa if there is
any difference between the exhaust on YURO and the current supplied item. I'm
now looking round to see where I can cut holes to let more air out. A reverse
NACA scoop on the side might be good. Once I get the air going through OK the
plan will be to reduce the inlet area and slim up the front of the cowling to
get the air from the prop away more cleanly. Should be worth 10 kts. Don't tell
Ivan, he might not speak to me again. Probably won't happen till next winter
anyway, the priority is to go flying as soon as possible.

Graham