Re: Oil Tank and cowling.

Subject: Re: Oil Tank and cowling.
From: Steven A Eberhart <newtech@evansville.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 21:56:31
On 27 Sep 1995, Graham Singleton wrote:

> >>do you subtract the frontal area of the radiators from the
> inlet area when figuring the proper outlet area?
>
> Good question, I hadn't thought of that. Still have a feeling in my bones that
> the best place for the radiators is where North American had it on the
> Mustang;
> or Supermarine on Spitfire, come to that. Both claimed actual thrust from the
> cooling energy.

I understand Ivan's problem.  If you put the radiator as a belley scoop
then it is directly behind the mono-wheel undercarrage.  Slung under the
wing is out due to the removable wings.  A separate nose scoop much like
you see on turbo prop nacelles might be an option.  You still need to
have airflow through the normal cowling openings for the air cooled
cylinders.  A sculptured chin scoop might add to the already good looks
of the plane...just might improve the slightly pug nosed look.

Steve