Europa-List: Re: Mandatory U.K. LAA permit directive. Shoot-Bolt stop

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Mandatory U.K. LAA permit directive. Shoot-Bolt stop
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 01:00:01

SLA and FDM methods are probably both suitable for the door stop.  I looked but
could not find any reference to the material or process used by the LAA on the
parts they are selling.  I think that is a serious omission for an engineering
deliverable.

Maybe somebody (Clive) can find out?

The choice of material is important.  Whilst doing work for a large aerospace
company
based near Cambridge we found that they had specified a 3D printing process
for parts that were subjected to human waste liquids and subsequent cleaning
with bleach based products.   For cost reasons the 3D parts were left bare
(no paint), a situation that could have led to the production of gases banned
under the Chemical Weapons Convention.

Having specified and used 3D printed parts over the past 23 years, l can
recommend
that a surface finish is used on them.  That could be primer and paint or
a thin GF or carbon ply (great for preventing surface cracks in FDM prints).

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD

Read this topic online here: