Re: Europa-List: Re: Winching attachment points to Tri Gear for Traileri

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Winching attachment points to Tri Gear for Trailering
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 18:13:54
Alan,
Please don't compare our stab to the Tramahawk!

Our tail plane will operate throughout our trim and flap setting range
allowing trim and power to land only.  I occasionally  practice power
and trim alone exercises, but I haven't the courage to flare out, but in
a trigear, I'll just let it hit in a shallow descent...

I have heard the stories (of course never admitted) of Europas with no
trim tabs connected (low speed so they got a scare), trim failure (slow
down and overcome the force), one aileron operating only (big pad on the
aileron quick disconnect fell off and the pilot didn't know it until
annual inspection), a disconnected rudder cable (no squeeze nut attached
and the temp nut came off) which kept the small amount of rudder in from
the spring as the pilots foot was too big to pull the other rudder back
a bit to streamline the rudder.  We had one owner who failed to install
his stab pip pin at all and as the stab pulled out, he was at slow speed
and with only one stab and a lot of flutter, put it on the ground.  He
split the fuselage due to flutter at the rear, but survived.  But no
instances of the stab tube failures.

The only things to make our stab (and the Thorp T18) perfect would be a
balanced trim tab so in the event you forgot to hook up the trim tab
tube, or the stab was departing the pins, the trim tab would stay
neutral as would the stick forces but usable and there would be
virtually no chance for flutter.  Many Piper aircraft balance the stab
at 30% which makes a stab tube disconnect fatal but increases stability
at the aft end of the CG range.  Also if their trim tab becomes
disconnected, the flutter is fatal also.  So be sure to preflight your
trim tabs.

Regards,
Bud Yerly
Europa Tech Support