Re: Europa-List: Filser Radio problems

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Filser Radio problems
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 19:57:38
Guys,

I guess I really have a dumb SWR meter in comparison to yours.  It
allows me to measure if my antenna is tuned to the freq (all our
antennas bought on the market are tuned, only handmade ones aren't and
they are close (probably within 4-5% if you follow the instructions).

Radio systems work best when the antenna system's impedance

matches the transmitter's output impedance as closely as possible.

The meter's standing wave ratio (SWR) function helps you trim your
antenna

to the precise length you need for the maximum transmitted power.

The meter's field strength function helps you position your antenna for

the best coverage and determine the effectiveness of changes you make to

your antenna, antenna cable, and transmitter.  We already know the tail
is a superb place in the Europa.

If you have a radio that you suspect a low power or poor transmit but
can receive OK, it seems that one can check with an SWR but you will
still have to get another antenna and compare if the installed antenna
is not working.    Plus, you must get to the back of the radio and hook
up a jumper get the meter hooked in anyway.  The SWR is not going to
tell me anything other than good or bad on the installed antenna, so get
a good antenna off the shelf and compare is what works fast and easy.

Finally, if you suspect the radio is bad, (you should have bench checked
it, but what the heck=B8 it is a new radio and my experience in 12
panels they all worked), so if you suspect the radio, you have to bench
check it anyway.  An Ohm meter will tell you if you have a bad cable and
the quick disconnect com lead at your panel back is your junction to the
spare antenna and you have your quick and dirty check.

Check your dials if you want, but it isn't going to be any faster.
That's why I have the spare antenna and build my panels to pop out fast.
 My com 25 pin D sub connection from the panel to the airframe  can be
hooked to a jack for a separate com check in minutes right on the bench.
 By opening up the firewall access hole, and hooking to the backup
antenna is the quickest way to satisfaction.

Regards,

Bud