Re: Europa-List: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:15:09

On 04/11/2010 05:10 AM, Kingsley Hurst wrote:

> In every in-flight photo I have seen of a Europa in level flight, the
> trim tabs have been noticably deflected upwards (nose down trim).

The position of the trim tab is is not an indication of nose up or nose
down trim. The idea of the trim is to offset the trim tab, so that
*consequently* the tailplane will find a new balance, negating the
offset of the trim tab. So, ideally, the trim tab will always align with
the tailplane, regardless of the trim setting.

The whole design idea must have been that the tailplane will find its
balance when it is aligned with the trim tab. Apparently however, this
balance will always be found with the trim tabs deflected upwards.

Again, this is no indication of trim. The trim determines (after
balancing out the aerodynamic forces) the position of the tailplane, and
the trim tabs will always remain in the same relative position to the
tail plane.

Playing on the ground with the tailplane and the trim tab will make this
obvious.

Frans