Re: Europa-List: Full Panel

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Full Panel
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:56:17

On 03/24/2010 01:25 PM, craig bastin wrote:

> Frans, I can understand your concerns with regard to EFIS panels, and what
> you have
> said no doubt was true at the start of efis development, these day most efis
> panels
> continually cross check solid state gyro information with both GPS and
> pressure infomation
> to assess the accuracy of the data being received, and the gyros themselves
> are now capable
> of detecting and correcting drift automatically,

This is what I was saying. Take the GPS and pressure information away
---From these EFIS panels, and the solid state gyro will go south very soon!
So, just when you need the horizon most (with a clogged pressure system)
it will fail to help you out.

> FWIW, I did a work out on weights
> about a year ago
> and the efis panel with two comm radios, Nav radio, Transponder, came in
> about 15KG lighter
> than a gyro steam gauge setup and a small GPS unit (giving the same basic
> functionality on both
> panels)

Hmm, all the instruments in my full size panel together weigh less than
15 Kg's. To get to a weight difference of 15Kg you must really do your
best to find the heaviest instruments you can find. For a standard
sixpack, each of the instruments must weigh more than 2,5Kg's! I have
some difficulty to believe that these figures are accurate.

Anyway, I was just clearing up why someone would prefer more panel space
over a picknick tray. It is not my intention to start a EFIS versus
steam war. ;-) Everything is somehow a compromise.

Frans