Re: Europa-List: Full Panel

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Full Panel
From: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:20:19
Hi all,

I would like to add my experience.  I find the parcel tray is very little
value, at least for the type of flying I have been doing.  The challenge I
have with the factory panel is more around internal volume, in particular
its depth rather than the external area.

I had a tough time getting the Apollo GX60 comm/gps and SL70 transponder to
fit without hitting the firewall.  Garmin 430's can be tough to fit in as
well.

To Frans point, fabricating your own isn't a big task.  I recall Bob
Jacobson (no longer a Europa owner) reporting that is "home fabricated"
panel weighed 2 lbs less than the factory panel and he didn't use carbon
fiber.  He also included internal cooling ducts and a couple of other neat
features.

As to weight savings.  When I removed my "6 pack", pump, hoses and regulator
I weighted them and they came in at 14 pounds.  My EFIS and backup
instruments came in at 6 pounds so I had a net saving of 8 pounds.

My primary instruments are a pair of GRT EFIS with a single AHRS.  These
display my engine parameters as well.

My back up's  are 2.25" instruments:
 - Trutrack single axis auto pilot
 - Trutrack ADI
 - Winter ASI
 - Mechanical Altimeter
 - Dual / alternative buss electrical buss

I have about 300 hours on this new panel configuration including quite a bit
of IFR time in actual conditions.  I have not had a problem with the EFIS
display getting its self confused, however I do keep my back up instruments
in my scan, and my auto pilot does not rely on any external system to keep
straight and level.

If I was to do this over again.  I would only have a separate autopilot and
my primary + back up instruments would be a pair of EFIS with dual AHRS and
dual pitot / static systems.  Although it is a bunch of work to make the two
separate systems agree, this setup offers a high level of redundancy.

So, I guess this is a long winded way of saying that I would build my own
panel, try not to stuff it too full of goodies and that I am fine with "All
glass" if sufficient thought is applied to failure & effects analysis.

Cheers,  Paul