Re: Europa-List: motorglider V-speeds and registration

Subject: Re: Europa-List: motorglider V-speeds and registration
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 20:28:35
Terry,

In my conversations with the FAA Registration branch and Airworthiness
branch it was a unanimous yes.  I was as shocked as you.  As an example,
consider an LSA pilot flying a certified champ under LSA rules, the
airplane meets the requirement that the pilot is flying under, yet a
private pilot can fly the same plane under the private pilot privledges.
Therefore, they must also allow a glider pilot with the proper motor
glider endorsements fly any motor glider.  A Single engine land aircraft
certified pilot, can fly a Europa motor glider as an airplane.  But if
the plane is registered as a glider he cannot fly without a glider
rating.  I found it interesting that the FAA does not have a motorglider
registration.  The aircraft is either a glider or an airplane.  With a
couple of  exceptions in their own certification goof ups.  (Last I
talked to Helen in registration, they were looking for an answer on how
they were going to correct it, but it affects so few, they may not do a
thing.  You may put anything on the registration request form and it can
get typed in as you put it down, but that doesn't mean it is correct
according to their regs. )

I found the Oklahoma FAA pros to be very much can do.  Focused on what
we can do, and eager to help rather than prohibit.  Your local FSDO may
not see it this way on a ramp check, because most of them have no
experience in an aircraft which can be flown as airplane and motor
glider, nor do they have much experience with gliders, but they do
understand the pilot ratings...

  Feel free to call your FSDO and have him talk to Les or Brad.

Interesting, isn't it.

Bud