Europa-List: motorglider V-speeds and registration

Subject: Europa-List: motorglider V-speeds and registration
From: David DeFord <davedeford@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 18:59:06

We are just about ready for paint on our motorglider wings, and we have a
few questions for other motorglider operators.

1. What are the expected stall speeds with the long wings, what are Vno and
Va, and what is the limiting speed for airbrake extension (if any)?

2. How have people marked their airspeed indicators to show values for both
short wings and long wings?  Two concentric sets of arcs?

3. What are the C.G. limits with long wins?

4. Any hints for convincing the FAA to grant registration in two categories
(ASEL and self-launch glider), depending on which wings are installed?  We
have been flying with the short wings for 6 years, so a change from the
existing category and operating limitations will be required.

5. Keeping potential controversy for last, how does Vne vary with altitude?
(The Diamond Extreme in which Terry and I recently got our self-launch
glider ratings has a placard which derates Vne from the marked value at 6500
feet by exactly the same ratios as shown in the table for the Pipistrel
Sinus, referenced in the article recently posted by Richard Pottorff.)

Thanks.

Dave DeFord
N135TD