Fuel Tank - Washing out fibres

Subject: Fuel Tank - Washing out fibres
From: JR Bob Gowing <gowingjr@acr.net.au>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 21:26:56

Dear Europa Group Members,
Troy and Paul have the focus on fuel tank installation so it should be a
good time to raise the following -

 It has been said that a lot of glass fibre gets into the tank during
construction and there is a vital need to wash the tank carefully
several times. This is apparently needed because of electrostatic
attraction of glass fibres which stick inside the tank and are hard to
shift. So filters clog a lot during the first  flying hours.

If the problem is electrostatic I would have thought that some weak
battery
acid or even salt water would release the attraction between tank and
fibres
and let the fibres loose easily and quickly. My question is has anyone
tried
the use of some sort of electrolyte for washing their tank and if so
what
was the result?

JR (Bob) Gowing  Kit ex UK No 327