RE: Europa-List: Re: Mono wheel versus Tri-gear

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Mono wheel versus Tri-gear
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 02:59:49
Craig and Rick,

The Jab cowl has quite a slope, so I would prefer to cut in a light on the
pilots side of the cowl.  A lot of work.

I made an exterior hanging light for 12AY and sold it to John Kershner.  Ph
oto Attached in the pdf.  It was just a Kuntzleman which was adequate for a
 painted runway with lights.  Good for taxi.  Lights up the runway paint ab
out 3-500 feet out.  I have never made another for the Kuntzleman as I just
 didn=92t like it as much as others.

Look at your off road guys.  I made a swap of the Walmart special H4s on Ga
ry Leinberger=92s to the Ridgid industries SR-Q2 with a bright dim switch.
 Either of these lights above will not light up as well as our 100,000 cand
le airliner landing lights but you won=92t feel like Helen Keller coming in
 to land either.  If you have the room, the Aeroled and Whelen standard Par
 light replacements are better than the smaller motorcycle types, but at le
ast twice the cost and amps.  I=92ve never installed an HID but they really
 reach out there, but in my opinion too much weight and heat.  More amps to
o.

I personally like the Rigid SR-Q2 as they are fairly inexpensive, use the h
igh output Cree LEDs and are easy to mount.  They don=92t make noise either
.  Go to youtube and take a look at Ridgid Industries Hi/LO SRQ2 Drive Beam
 Pattern Snake Racing test video.

I set these small LEDs all up out back of the shop, and the Spot Cree LEDs
go out about 800 feet pretty well and the driving is just fine at about 500
 feet and wide enough to drive down the road with just one.  There are no r
eflectors out behind the shop, so there is no chance these off road lights
would be OK on a grass runway on a pitch black night in my opinion, but fin
e for a painted runway.  The Aerosun was not much different than the SRQ2 d
riving light, just a little harder to mount and the lens is not as tough.
I had to do a paper for clients to explain to me and the guys what the heck
 a lumen, candle, luminance, lux and candlepower was as comparisons are a s
on of a gun without consistent standards.  I=92ve attached that paper I mad
e up from internet articles above also, as I know you do your research.  He
ll of a thing=85how bright is bright.  Who knows until you see it.  I wish
I had unlimited resources to test these lights out on a runway.  Look at Av
Webs Youtube videos and get some ideas on your own as well as the off road
and motorcycle guys videos.

Good luck.  If you are going to repaint the cowl anyway, cutting in a reces
sed light is reasonable. Making an external pod is not any easier, but if t
he plane is nicely painted, no repair work will be necessary, just the wiri
ng.  The choices we make eh?

Best Regards,

Bud Yerly

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Window