Europa-List: Re: Mono wheel versus Tri-gear

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Mono wheel versus Tri-gear
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 17:39:31

Hi Hazel,

My Europa was built by me as a mono and first flew 20 years ago, before the
tri-gear
became an option. About 4 years ago I converted it to the tricycle
configuration,
after two VERY experienced friends who I allow to share it ground-looped
while landing. Both have been instructors and both have adequate tail-dragger
experience. I wanted to eliminate the worry about when it might be damaged
again, hence the conversion.

My own flying experience stretches back over 50 years, including 10 years as a
military pilot and thereafter 34 years flying commercially. I have about 650
hours
flying the Europa as a mono and 274 hours flying the military North American
AT6 (Harvard) WW2 trainer, which is a tail-wheel type. The Europa is more
difficult on landing than the AT6, due to the absence of differential brakes to
assist in keeping it straight.

I have greatly enjoyed flying this superbly designed aircraft in both
undercarriage
configurations and have no doubt that you'll love it too. Even so, unless
you have considerable tail-wheel experience and/or get lots of training before
being let loose alone on the Europa mono, I'd be inclined towards acquiring
a tri-gear version (with 100+hp to overcome increased rolling resistance on soft
surfaces).

No doubt there will be disagreement with this statement, but "it isn't if, but
when" you'll have a mishap while landing a mono. I was just lucky not to be
caught
out similarly to my two friends.

Read this topic online here: