Re: Installation of the A2 Plate

Subject: Re: Installation of the A2 Plate
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 17:51:34

> > I am ready to close the roots of the ailerons.  Installation of the A2
> plate
> > and associated hardware to within one mm sounds tricky.  Anyone having any
> > hints or suggestions would be appreciated.
> >>>>>
> > Thanks,
> > Wink
>
>I just kept measuring it with a pair of calipers while I was fitting it and
>doing the layup.  I tried the measurements both from the center of the bolt
>and from the edge, both seem to work, but have slight uncertainties.
>Now that everything is as hard as stone, the bolts seems to have the same
>distance to less than a mm.

The important datum points are the hinge pin and the bolt. LE of the
aileron is useless as a datum, the edge is not much better. You need to
reduce the variables, and the position of the hinge is not accurately
fixed, although it is the primary datum point.
The job needs to be done before the hinge pin is bent over, (a dubious
practice IMHO.) Better to secure it by drilling for fine lock wire or
similar technique.

Graham