Europa-List: Re: Europa Sun 'n Fun Forum and gatherings.

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa Sun 'n Fun Forum and gatherings.
From: budyerly@msn.com <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 18:59:52

The latest from Sun 'n Fun 2023

It's really nice weather this week.  A bit breezy, but clear skies, and
delightfully
warm (HOT to many) and well attended by fliers and the public.

Wednesday folks finally started to fly in as the weather fronts abated by
Tuesday
up north.  It was a huge fly in day filling most of the GA Camping area and
some in the homebuilt camping.

Wednesday Fred Klein, Jerry Hope, Lyle Antieu, Jim, and I all discussed Fred's
accident with the rocker switches having been inadvertently switched off and
unnoticed.
I was asked to do a critique of Fred's switches and his fix to put
guards on his ignition, and engine control switches.  A smart move on his part.
These small rocker switches are neat, but difficult to see if they are on and
off as they are a very low profile.

Fred's repairs are nearly complete and the engine undamaged so a bit more time
and he'll be flying again.

 My only comment for Fred was to replace rockers with lever lock switches that
cannot be inadvertently shut off by simply hitting them.

In my previous military and civil training our instructors always required a
blindfold
cockpit check prior to solo.  Knowledge by wrote memory and feel sharpens
the quick reactions of a pilot.  I'm a fan of it, but in the civil training
environment normally, it is not even a training that is considered.  I find
it speeds checklist operations and assists in emergencies and normal ops such
as running out of gas in the main side or aux, night flying, and old guy mental
fog.

As I said, the Sun 'n Fun GA fly in side has been very well attended but
homebuilt
camping is only about 1/2 full on Wednesday and another 20 or so flew in on
Thursday.

John Wigney flew his beautiful Europa Mono in on Wednesday afternoon.  He
reports
the new homebuilt camping area, near the VOR was quite nice and his comment
that there were only two showers for men and two for women meant a bit of
patience
was needed in the AM.  However, the campground hosts were doing evening
meals and morning light breakfast which John said was very nice.  The only
drawback
I saw was the tram for transportation to and from the area was a bit annoying
as it ran about every 20 minutes but occasionally was longer.  It is a long
walk from the VOR to the airshow East End and a reliable tram was now needed.
John walked the 1/4 mile in short time from the LSA area and there were numerous
carts stopping to pick folks up from the ultralight/LSA area to homebuilt
camping.

I saw Chuck Reinas's trigear, but did not run into Chuck.

It was not as hot on Thursday, but Anita's foot was sore, my back got twisted up
stepping off a sidewalk, so after doing some volunteer work in the AM and some
Airmaster Sale visits, we went home a bit early at 2 PM.  I got a well needed
nap in the afternoon, and corrected my back and Anita got her foot taken care
of.  A win-win for us.

Jerry Hope leaves Saturday and I think many others will from the homebuilt area
as another front is crossing the Ohio valley area.  Florida will be unaffected
but those flying home East of Ohio will be heading out I'm sure with a healthy
tail wind for a change.

Saturday, Anita and I have grand baby visits in Orlando, and we will be away
from
the show for the day, but back Sunday to volunteer/assist and staying through
the teardown.

Best Regards,
Bud and Anita Yerly

Read this topic online here: