europa-list

RE: Europa-List: XS Main Gear Legs

To: "europa-list@matronics.com" <europa-list@matronics.com>
Subject: RE: Europa-List: XS Main Gear Legs
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 21:48:16 +0000
Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 96.68.171.1 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com) smtp.mailfrom=owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com; dmarc=fail (p=NONE sp=QUARANTINE dis=NONE) header.from=msn.com
Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=reply-to:precedence:sender:mime-version:message-id:date:subject:to :from; bh=A3sqGN5F/kNgHzDGH9mByGzjnFzwQXPZU+RrhS3fy+k=; b=XLr2PfIUv/L3V8kWd/hiBuBfqBcaM7m6nNfp8wQeFlGBJLOgcx20SXBYyITellZf9i ygnPReBe+FmYrguI1zTxxD1OkC0NHS4TJfGPDEveyIiNgQ3RfBTe9d6dmnZYYF2Fa5+n p/PXX7+G6+FxCmXf+qGpr+tHvxkkhcMDxlIZfYff1fbCdZ5y2zKMYkurgWSw57e8gQWB f72zmGSnzbbHW/QntlGDpYLJY9aHSEvAG93cWRWazqLLxL2FeXa9Zl0fgFskyZw+Lvkv yAuSU0/tKjBd6eUzVWEiI3MTNsEsdlFZyB5pYC4u5ZIwQ20F0Q8n2sGQMrbk/+6ZPayP UgYg==
Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1631483477; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=nEk2sL3ZUUYWWVUGLbLPxQrtj2iSl5hi/UiLmh63+numFQ7999VxOp6UK0RyTkY/t8 bxKzOmUzDtdeNSmyifQyjOv+KKQZCxZGNw1I9h+S2dhgEDENkrro1ixIV1VjMyX5Xe8L xuCY09P69U63bVBJGeEp58kzVp9TSPV1fhKEj4P4aJLr+QHxD8u/Zekdmuo7oOIuoPU0 ExXQUixcqT4QxVFsfPeEr8GV5BP6nnxxuCTq99GqBOD30khM7/HK0lIiASEgPH6tyDYx XgLdgiBMLoUcjaauBIxKdsomz1EuycAceUNombXy60VzgKj8aD0Hdzx4twDA9cS9mDFd s9mg==
Sender: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com

Arwel,

Don’t be alarmed by the tire wear.

It is a shame the manual doesn’t emphasize the camber angle of the mains.  The tire wear on the outside is going to happen.  See Chapter 29T.

Note that the gear, with the wheels off (if perfectly built) should have the axles aligned with the longitudinal axis of the fuselage and the camber angle (top of the tire towed out) is almost an inch.  Hence tire wear.

If both tires are wearing evenly, the plane may look like it is leaning a bit, but if the gear legs aren’t loose or bent don’t panic.

I’ve seen guys put the gear in out of alignment during the build.  During the annual, I pulled the wheels, measured everything and I can’t fix a bad build.  Heavy Europa’s (1000 lb empty weight) suffer gear leg bends.  It happens.

Rarely does a home builder get the gear perfect.  I pride myself on a good jig and careful work, but the gear legs are slightly different, and a few firm landings may tweak the gear a bit even when built perfectly.

We have a similar problem in the RV community (our Europa trigear legs are extremely similar to the RV4 legs).  The gear are slanted aft on the RV and they tend to bend outward and twist back making for toe out which on a conventional gear aircraft is less than ideal, but livable.  Our gear twist outboard also and of course bend upward reducing the camber and creating toe out.

All you can do is on the annual, jack the plane off the gear, break out the chalk line, drop a plumb bob off the tail and from between the nose gear attachments (the nose gear is rarely perfectly straight) then while servicing the tires lay a straight angle iron on the floor and check for yourself.  You can’t do it with the gear spindles on blocks.  Because the gear obviously bends and twists with the weight.  (There are pictures of my cradle on line which I frequently use.) Some put a block under the nose tire, lift the tail by the stab tubes and put a trestle (saw horse) under the tailpost.  With the wings off, the main wheels keep it from rolling over, then block the main gear lightly, pull the wheels off and start a quick measure.

By the way, nice looking tire tread.  A lot of landing left.  (Personally, I don’t swap the tires left to right as it is easier to just put on new tires since you have to swap wheels also.)  It’s an airplane, it costs money to keep flying.

Your lucky, it’s our anniversary yesterday so we’re going out to eat so I’ll save you all my drivel.

Best Regards,

Bud Yerly