Europa-List: Oil pressure rises with altitude

Subject: Europa-List: Oil pressure rises with altitude
From: William Daniell <wdaniell.longport@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 14:38:46
So today for the first time in a long time I climb to 5500 and to my
surprise I see my oil pressure at 67psi and on occasions rising to 72 psi,
the top of the normal range.  Previously my oil pressure has remained
around 55 psi.

So I turn around and go home thinking that there must be an obstruction
somewhere.

So I get down to 3000 and the pressure goes down 61 and then to 2500 and
the pressure goes down to 56 - all straight and level and same rpm and
manifold

I land and the pressure is 54-55 which is normal at sea level.  I take off
again WOT and steady at 55 and then the same thing happens as I climb.

All other temperatures are normal at all altitudes.  I have Dynon Skyview
and EMS.

Take off oil temp at WOT was 60C so you would expect higher pressure which
didnt happen and at 5500 oil temp was 80C.  Other oil temps were in between.

If it were an obstruction the pressure would be high independent of
altitude.

Could it be a defective pressure sender?  The oil pressure sender must
measure the pressure of the oil against something - presumably against
atmospheric pressure.  If it is compared to atmospheric pressure then it
must be compensated in some for changes in pressure with altitude.

Any thoughts?

Will

William Daniell
LONGPORT