Re: Europa-List: Starter Diode

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Starter Diode
From: david park <dpark748@me.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 12:54:58
Ptroblem started while rewiring a new panel and engine would not start due t
o a different problem. When looking to replace diode I got confused with dif
fering advice and written instructions,  but was sure it should be as diagra
m.
All good now ready for continental adventures again??
Regards
Dave Park

> On 7 Jun 2021, at 12:29, Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk> wrote:
>
> =EF=BBKingsley, no problem here and I was just ensuring with the diagra
m that everyone contributing had access to the same info.

> I think Dave has indicated he has the answer - he might even share what wa
s causing the problem. =F0=9F=98

> Alan
>
>> On 7 Jun 2021, at 12:02, Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan@westnet.com.au> wrote:

>> =EF=BBHello Alan,
>>
>> I wasn=99t intending to infer the diode should be across the starte
r motor as I clearly said starter solenoid in my opening paragraph.

>> Without digging a deeper hole for myself, I offer no excuses for the erro
rs in my posting other than to say my brain was obviously not engaged proper
ly after 8 hrs of driving today.

>> Please accept my apology (and you too Dave) for my misdemeanour.
>>
>> Regards
>> Kingsley.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> =EF=BB
>>> <image0.jpeg>
>>>
>>> The diode is connected across the starter solenoid coil not the contacts
 for the starter motor as per the extract from the build manual above. There
 is no diode across the starter motor shown in the build manual diagram, at l
east not my version.

>>> With 12v positive on the starter contacter coil the diode, with the cath
ode or marked end of the diode connected to positive terminal of the starter
 coil, is reverse biased and so will not conduct. When the starter button re
lease the falling emf, magnetic field, produces an opposite voltage in the c
oil and can spark across the starter switch contacts eventually damaging the
 contacts, the diode shorts out this so the spark does not happen.

>>> If the diode is shorted out, or the wrong way round, then solenoid will n
ot work, assuming the solenoid will operate without diode connected as a tes
t to ensure it=99s the wiring of the diode that=99s the problem o
f course.

>>> Isn=99t explaining electrical problems by email fun
.=F0=9F=A4=A9

>>> Alan
>>>

>>> Sent from my iPad

ou want to put the diode across the starter solenoid.

r motor side of the starter solenoid and the cathode to the positive (starte
r switch) side of the solenoid.

e engine, the diode would have been forward biased trying to carry the full c
urrent of the starter motor and more than likely will be ruined.

 conducts in one direction but not the other or use a new diode.

), the diode is reverse biased and has no effect..... all the current passes
 through the solenoid.  On releasing the starter button (or key switch), the
 collapsing magnetic field in the starter solenoid tries to induce a high vo
ltage spike but this is swamped by the diode because the diode short circuit
s the current induced by the collapsing magnetic field in the coil.

robably should have just said ..... connect it like the manual says.

 resistance one way and low the other.

 Not switch.

 grace is the start solenoid is looking for 12 volts.  Of course, the soleno
id must be grounded.
n the diode.  Another problem is guys don=99t insulate the anode side o
f the diode and it shorts.

ed practice to extend the life of the contacts in the starter solenoid.  The
 Europa Electrical Chapter  25 advises to use an IN5404 but any will do.

r switch tab and the cathode or negative goes to the ground bolt holding on t
he starter solenoid.  I use at least a #18 or 16 wire from the solenoid fast
ening bolt to the main firewall ground.

ver@matronics.com> On Behalf Of david park

s as described with band end cathode on starter terminal and other end to ea
rth?

%2F%2Fwww.matronics.com%2FNavigator%3FEuropa-List&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C47
56a189af0d42b6175508d925f6f1c0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C
637582564812620700%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luM
zIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=d2yFiqBfE8TCD9qLmlbZwUH
kZby9t6u3YMcNESeUVsc%3D&amp;reserved=0
%2F%2Fforums.matronics.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C4756a189af0d42b6175508
d925f6f1c0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637582564812630692%7
CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiL
CJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=SBC%2BHeUkzr3LiivK88gfvqg0yBuA5ly76yuWCWUUh
MM%3D&amp;reserved=0
%2F%2Fwiki.matronics.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C4756a189af0d42b6175508d9
25f6f1c0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637582564812630692%7CU
nknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJ
XVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=o8qJjaCYZwDfnYZL5ZTUYwVjcHuo0CD7LEX42XsDfhY%3
D&amp;reserved=0
%2F%2Fwww.matronics.com%2Fcontribution&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C4756a189af0d4
2b6175508d925f6f1c0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C63758256481
2630692%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6
Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=%2F4PsRd1psVqvnaU7%2FNqFY9pTbwXM%2
FA4XO38X5pjT4sc%3D&amp;reserved=0