Re: Europa-List: Starter Diode

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Starter Diode
From: david park <dpark748@me.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 11:30:32
Thanks everyone, happy now=F0=9F=98=84=F0=9F=98=84=F0=9F=98=84

Dave Park

> On 7 Jun 2021, at 11:00, Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk> wrote:
>
> =EF=BB
>
> The diode is connected across the starter solenoid coil not the contacts f
or the starter motor as per the extract from the build manual above. There i
s no diode across the starter motor shown in the build manual diagram, at le
ast not my version.

> With 12v positive on the starter contacter coil the diode, with the cathod
e or marked end of the diode connected to positive terminal of the starter c
oil, is reverse biased and so will not conduct. When the starter button rele
ase the falling emf, magnetic field, produces an opposite voltage in the coi
l and can spark across the starter switch contacts eventually damaging the c
ontacts, the diode shorts out this so the spark does not happen.

> If the diode is shorted out, or the wrong way round, then solenoid will no
t work, assuming the solenoid will operate without diode connected as a test
 to ensure it=99s the wiring of the diode that=99s the problem o
f course.

> Isn=99t explaining electrical problems by email fun
.=F0=9F=A4=A9

> Alan
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
>>> On 7 Jun 2021, at 10:44, Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan@westnet.com.au> wrote
:

>> =EF=BBHello Dave,
>>
>> I haven=99t got your previous posts in front of me but I assume you
 want to put the diode across the starter solenoid.

>> If my assumption is correct, you should connect the anode to the starter m
otor side of the starter solenoid and the cathode to the positive (starter s
witch) side of the solenoid.

>> If you have had it connected the other way around and tried starting the e
ngine, the diode would have been forward biased trying to carry the full cur
rent of the starter motor and more than likely will be ruined.

>> Either check the diode with a multi meter ( on ohms scale) to ensure it c
onducts in one direction but not the other or use a new diode.

>> When connected correctly, on pressing the starter button (or key switch),
 the diode is reverse biased and has no effect..... all the current passes t
hrough the solenoid.  On releasing the starter button (or key switch), the c
ollapsing magnetic field in the starter solenoid tries to induce a high volt
age spike but this is swamped by the diode because the diode short circuits t
he current induced by the collapsing magnetic field in the coil.

>> Hope this hasn=99t made it more confusing for you.  I could and pro
bably should have just said ..... connect it like the manual says.

>> Best regards
>> Kingsley in Oz.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> =EF=BBAllan have you put ANODE to switch contact?
>>>
>>> Dave Park

esistance one way and low the other.

race is the start solenoid is looking for 12 volts.  Of course, the solenoid
 must be grounded.
 the diode.  Another problem is guys don=99t insulate the anode side o
f the diode and it shorts.

 practice to extend the life of the contacts in the starter solenoid.  The E
uropa Electrical Chapter  25 advises to use an IN5404 but any will do.

witch tab and the cathode or negative goes to the ground bolt holding on the
 starter solenoid.  I use at least a #18 or 16 wire from the solenoid fasten
ing bolt to the main firewall ground.

r@matronics.com> On Behalf Of david park

s described with band end cathode on starter terminal and other end to earth
?

F%2Fwww.matronics.com%2FNavigator%3FEuropa-List&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C4756
a189af0d42b6175508d925f6f1c0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C63
7582564812620700%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzI
iLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=d2yFiqBfE8TCD9qLmlbZwUHkZ
by9t6u3YMcNESeUVsc%3D&amp;reserved=0
F%2Fforums.matronics.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C4756a189af0d42b6175508d9
25f6f1c0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637582564812630692%7CU
nknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJ
XVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=SBC%2BHeUkzr3LiivK88gfvqg0yBuA5ly76yuWCWUUhMM
%3D&amp;reserved=0
F%2Fwiki.matronics.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C4756a189af0d42b6175508d925
f6f1c0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637582564812630692%7CUnk
nown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXV
CI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=o8qJjaCYZwDfnYZL5ZTUYwVjcHuo0CD7LEX42XsDfhY%3D&
amp;reserved=0
F%2Fwww.matronics.com%2Fcontribution&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C4756a189af0d42b
6175508d925f6f1c0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C6375825648126
30692%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik
1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=%2F4PsRd1psVqvnaU7%2FNqFY9pTbwXM%2FA
4XO38X5pjT4sc%3D&amp;reserved=0