Europa-List: Re: Vents (again)

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Vents (again)
From: n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 06:50:27

Hi Bud and others,

As always good advice. First let me say that I read your paper about landing the
mono in great detail Bud. I did go out and practiced the low and slow flying
exercise over the runway. It helped greatly.

When the conditions are calm I am doing better than great. Extremely precise and
I am able to land without bounce (tailwheel first) every time. I have learned
that, yes, my bounces are directly related to touching down main first.

My level of anxiety is certainly dropping as I get more experience (just
frustrated
at how long it's taking to get to that point). I do believe that I am OK
now and could probably successfully land the mono under almost any conditions
without breaking it. But can't help feeling certain level of anxiety when the
winds comes up. BTW, talking to extremely experienced TW pilots here, they tell
me it is simply that way when you fly taildraggers. They told me they are
certainly
a little less versatile than tri-gear airplanes when traveling and more
planning is required. I have a friend with an TW RV-8 with nearly 4000 hrs in
taildraggers and he doesn't fly when it gets too windy or gusty.

The residual thrust is an issue but I am not going to consider a CS prop until
I get more experience. For now I have found a good compromise that gives me
plenty
of climb power and decent true airspeed (around 115-120).

Overall I am really enjoying the mono. But it does take patience and practice.

Chris

Read this topic online here: