Re: Europa-List: Re: arplast pv 50

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: arplast pv 50
From: Ken Atkinson <kennethatkinson178@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 11:05:07

Hi Matt, Arplast PV50 bearings. My last replacements were from
---www.simplybearings.co.uk----

3 off MB.5040.DLU---Wrapped steel plain bearing bush 50x55x40mm

3off 51110.MB ----thrust ball bearing 50x70x14mm

2off 3x5o.NBR- pack of 2-----3section x50mmbore NITRILE 70 0-rings

Simply have a good website and do a quick delivery.

This is how I service my PV50.-

First get your inspector present! and read PV50 manual.

I have a 4ft square of 1/2 inch ply with a 2" hole cut in the centre
-screwed to a B/D workmate.

Remove propeller noting spinner and backplate alignement markings- take
photos.

Place propeller on bench with pitch change motor in hole.

Remove 6 Hub bolts, use a 9volt PP9 battery to touch on pitch change
motor to move blades to coarse then lift off top of hub.It helps to have
another set of hands and eyes to achieve this carefully.

The blades can be lifted out if the pitch change motor has been moved
coarse enough.

Work on one blade at a time,make a simple jig from wood to hold the
blade. Mine is a piece of shelf 23"x 8"with a piece of 4x1.5" fixed
either end.Back of blade rests on one end while the bearing sits in a V
cut at the other end. At the hub end is fixed a metal bar with a hole to
locate the bolt head of the nylon block mounting. All the blades
should fit the jig accurately before dismantling!

Undo hub clamp and remove thrust and plain bearing and o ring,clean and
inspect. Note centre holes of thrust bearings are different, smaller dia
centre locates on propeller shaft last.larger dia centre locates in hub.

Fit new o ring and bearings with grease.Clean loctite from clamp and
bolts. Fit blade to jig,refit clamp and tighten bolts with loctite
applied. You can keep rechecking your jig by trying the old blades in!
Repeat for blades 2 and 3 .Refit as manual,loctite on bolts at 11
lbs/ft. Don't forget to pull on blades, to seat the thrust bearings,when
tightening!

Before reassembling check the mechanical fine pitch stop.It is an
aluminium tube fitted over the screw actuator with an o ring! This is
the safety device in case of screw,switch or other failure. It's length
governs the max revs at take off in the event of one of the above. See
latest LAA info.

All above is just from memory so I may have missed some parts or they
may be in the wrong order but I hope it helps. Peter will have much more
experience of many PV50s and may wish to add to my comments?

Cheers Ken.

should fit jig well before any dismantling!

On 07/04/2021 21:47, Matt Dovey wrote:

> Thanks for the reply's guys. Ken do you have the part numbers for the
> bearings.
Or do you have a link to them. I would like to get them ordered before I start
the permit inspection.