RE: Europa-List: Re: Vents

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Vents
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 11:39:56

Griff,
NO, I did not address the noise level.

With headsets, addressing noise is a function of mic settings,  air blast
direction,
ANR vs non, engine type and exhaust, propeller type and airspeed.

Anything allowing wind blast into the cockpit is going to make noise.
Those with NACA vents down by the leg or below the cruck of the knee won't hear
much.
Those with piping from the rear (tail fin) up to the cockpit won't hear (or
feel)
much either.

The ultimate vents in my windows can be heard with non ANR headsets slightly
when
directed at the face.

The door style intake tends to be noisier than the ultimate style.

The in the glass hinged door is awful if placed near the face (about half way
back
on the door).

So not much help really.  I am normally more concerned with the engine and prop
noise.
I find the two blade props (older Whirlwind hydraulic, Sensenich blades in the
Airmaster AP420) to be noisier due to the wide chord power pulses hitting the
screen.
The windscreen in some planes acts like a drum skin so prop noise is noticeable.

Exhaust of a Jabiru or Rotax 912 series exited under the belly is noisy also.

Survival from heat stroke in the cockpit in summer means more to me than db
level
of the vent.

Just an opinion.

Bud Yerly